View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 12:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default "In Search of Clarity"

Does anyone know when the Harvard study results was published and if so is it available to read for free? I would really like to know what conclusions they came up with.

My now 13 yr old daughter began having difficulties a couple of years ago and this has escalated to the point that she began cutting. The cutting doesn't seem to be related to the normal cutting patterns one sees. Not sure how to describe or explain this other than she cuts for reasons or triggers that other's don't. She became suicidal and was hospitalised for 6 weeks. She's been DX with depression of course and PTSD. But! I and some others are seeing what appears to be Bi-Polar symptoms. It's so difficult to get a definitive DX. I so badly want one that I can point to and say, "yep, that's it...that's what she has". But these are not like physical illnesses in that there don't seem to be any lab tests that can help with the DX. Or at least with the definitive part. It's a crap shoot from all appearances.

We have one therapist/psychologist saying it's most definitely not Bi-Polar and a psychiatrist saying she sees bi-polar symptoms. We're waiting on an appt with a psychologist who is said to do diagnosing and that he's never missed yet with the difficult or confusing cases sent to him.

Currently my daughter is on some pretty heavy duty meds. And I struggle daily with this. She's currently in a home for kids: Troubled, abandoned and abused kids. We're using this as a half-way home type placement. We hope to have her home by Christmas.

I'd appreciate any links, information....anything that might help us with her situation.