Thread: Matted hair
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 04:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ali!

So my hair problems don't arise from RSD, but I can totally relate. My hair started falling out about 7 weeks ago, and it's devastating. My doctor finally figured out that I had no thyroid function and my iron levels were "ridiculously low."

I've been on prescription iron and synthroid, the synthetic version of the hormone that the thyroid produces for a month now, and I'm just starting to see a slowing in the hair loss. Everyone says that they would never know that I've lost any, but you get self conscious, you know? But really- my point is- these are two things that can really effect your hair. I know that personally I can fall into some pretty bad eating habits when the pain is really bad. I kind of stop eating. So maybe increasing the amount of iron in your diet could help you get back more spiffy hair. And it doesn't have to mean more meat! I'm a big fan of trail mixes- nuts and dried fruit have a lot of iron.

You can also get supplements that are specifically for hair and nails. Just watch what you are eating and try to get all of the vitamins and things that you need. Also- fish oil supplements- omega3 fatty acids are really great for skin and hair too. And nerve transmission! Can't hurt.

On a more practical note- Bed Head has some pretty great moisturizing shampoos and conditioners. And try a smoothing serum- something silicone based. These are great for eliminating the poofiness!

Linnie
Lynns409 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote