View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 05:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, I have Centralized pain Syndrome (complex regional pain syndrome) which is similiar to RSD. After many years of frustration and severe pain, i got so desperate i begged the Dr to amputate my leg ( all this was pre MS), amputation did reduce my pain levels but did not get tid of it- i had been warned this could be the case. Eventually i had a long term epidural catherter inserted and used to give myself injections of morphine and marcaine 3 times per day- for the 1st time in years i had minimal pain. unfortunately after about 18months the epidural cath failed and left scar tissue in the epidural space so that it could not be replaced. It was replaced with a syncromed medication infuion pump by medtronic ( check out there site for some great information). The pump sits in my abdomen and delivers morphine ( low dose) directly into the fluid around the spinal cord ( deeper than epidural) called the intrathecal space. FOr me it has been magical relief, after years of not being able to work because i was in s much pain and also on such huge doses of opiates, suddenly i was able to get back to part time work. These sorts of treatments are considered last resort, they are expensive and have a lot of side effects potentiallu. I have been lucky, they only side effect i have had is some edema to my leg, that has been managed with compression stocking and probably would not bee so bad if i were not wheelchair bound as muscle activity from waling would ususally help.
I know you wan t answers as to what the issue is but if i were you i would deal with the pain first, chronic pain is soul destroying to say the least, it drove me to the point of suicide before the amputation but i have had my pump in place for nearly 6 yrars ( it willl need replacement soon when the baterries run out but that is a simple procedure)
I hope you get some answers soon
regards
Karen
kebsa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote