View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Imcat,
Your chronic symptoms sound like there may be an ongoing infection (perhaps osteomyelitis or something similar to it) that may only be detectable by doing a combination of diagnostic testing. I have seen countless bone infections that have invaded the sinus cavity and they kept getting overlooked by one dentist/doctor after another until finally someone did some thorough diagnostic testing. Some helpful tests would be:

Blood tests:
Complete blood count (CBC) - this test measures the size, number, and maturity of the different blood cells in a specific volume of blood to see if there is an infection.

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) - this blood test measures how quickly red blood cells fall to the bottom of a test tube. When there is swelling and inflammation, the blood's proteins clump together and become heavier than normal. These are then measured as to how quickly they fall and settle at the bottom of the test tube. Basically, the faster the blood cells fall, the more severe the inflammation.

C-reactive protein (CRP) - this is a blood test that can help detect the presence of inflammation or an infection.

Other helpful diagnostic tests:
Bone biopsy - this is a surgical procedure where a small sample of bone is taken from the site of the extraction and sent to a lab to help determine if there is an infection in the bone and what type of infection.

Panoramic radiograph- this shows the maxillary and mandible in their entirety. It also shows some of the nasal cavity as well.

Radionuclide bone scans - pictures or x-rays taken of the bone after a dye has been injected that is absorbed by bone tissue. These are used to detect tumors and bone abnormalities/infections.

Computed tomography scan (Also called CT or CAT scan.) - this is an imaging procedure that uses both x-rays and computer technology to produce a cross-sectional view/slices both vertically and horizontally. CT scans are more detailed than routine radiographs.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) - this is an imaging procedure that produces very detailed images by using large magnets, various radiofrequencies, and computer technology.

I know this is a tough situation for you and it's hard to get dentists/doctors to cooperate. However, waiting this one out, may not be in your best interest if there is an infection present in the bone. I encourage our dental patients to be persistent in their quest in finding out what is wrong. It is not normal for you to still have pain in that area in spite of all of the trauma that has taken place UNLESS there is something causing you to have chronic inflammation which is what generally will cause the pain and discomfort. You may also have some nerve trauma from the oral surgery, either from the extraction, the injection, or the placement/removal of the implant which causes you to have that "burning" like pain and lack of sensation.

I could literally write a book on how neglectful our healthcare system is when is comes to diagnosing and treating oral infection. I have seen countless people suffer needlesly because implants were placed in infected bone. Be true to your gut feeling that's saying something is not right............ keep pursuing a diagnosis.

Please let us know how you are doing!

Bryanna
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote