View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 05:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Mary,

First...

Second, you've met my wife and know what her personal challenges are as well. She has taken some time to come closer to her own version of understanding and acceptance. Attending the YOPN in Chicago was a big step for her. I've just realized that some people take the scenic route to arrive at their destination, while some of us take the direct route.

I do feel your pain in terms of family though. I have no family personally, so all I have is my wife's family. And my PD is never spoken about. Period. When I was first diagnosed and announced it to everyone I knew, not a single person from her family said a thing. Nada. Zip. Zero. I made video tapes of MJF and Ali on Dateline and other programs and gave them to the family to try and open the communication, provide information, and possibly answer questions they may have had. I've provided copies of articles I've either written or been featured in. No change.

It makes it very difficult for me to be around them. But I realize that I can't change the way they are, or they way they choose to "cope" with this issue, so I just move forward. Like you, I'm not looking for pity or being constantly asked how I'm doing. But an occasional comment of concern or caring would be nice. Hell, we have a woman in our local young onset group whose brother literally drove around the world to raise funds and awareness for PD and I can't even get my wife's family to check out my website or wear a t-shirt! Crazy...

I do envy those with strong family support. I know that can make a huge difference in how you personally cope with your own version of this disease. So hang in there. Things in life don't always work they way we imagine, but we always seem to find a way through it. I know you will as well!

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans."
-John Lennon

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote