Thread: BBB update
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 02:31 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Rick,
We know that transport through the nose by-passes the BBB and goes directly into the brain. This is why drug addicts sniff drugs to get an instant high, rather than get it into the bloodstream and wait an hour for their high. Don't you remember all our discussion on using this veremonasal channel to get an instant rescue from an "off". This does not detract in any way from the BBB theory.
I have never proposed the BBB is the only theory. I do think however that differing symptoms can be explained by differing permeabilities of the BBB, allowing certain toxins to enter one persons brain, whilst another person with a different permeability gets a different set of toxins and therefore different symptons.
Your theories on inflammation caused by LPS toxins is quite feasible but the LPS toxins still have to cross the BBB to get into the brain. If we all had the same permeability of the BBB, either the whole population would have PD, or no one would, depending on what the "standard" permeability was.
Thaks for the BBB reference, it confirms there are ways to trick the BBB into letting substances pass that are not normally allowed in. Tricks like using trojan horses etc. In fact the sad thing is that much research is spent by Pharma trying to get large molecular weight drugs past the BBB. This is counter productive to us.

Peggy,
Great to hear from you again. No, I did not realise M.J.Fox was doing work on the BBB. I had not looked at his site since I thought he was concentrating on stem cells.
The work you describe is just what I proposed, measure the permeability of a spectrum of PWP and compare with a group of healthy people. See if there was correlation, and the higher permeabilities belong to the advanced PWP, and then you could have a method of predicting when someone was liable to develop PD. Are there any results yet? I will do a search.
Joop,
Thanks for the link to the questionaire, I will have a go at completing it.
Ron
Ronhutton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote