Thread: Fioricet
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Being a long term headache/migraine sufferer, I would have to mostly agree with Mrs. D. Many years ago, I had a script for Fiorcet and for a few years, I recall that it was helpful when I took it occasionally. I also sometimes took Imitrex (and still do rely on this medication for relief). However, inch by inch...slowly but surely, my migraine problem worsened. One day, the Fiorcet hardly worked at all.

I ended up going to a neurologist with a special interest in migraines. This particular physician, does not prescribe this medication at all. My take on it is that he feels it is likely to cause rebound headaches. Perhaps he feels that people could take it on a rare occasion. I know that I suspect this is the case. However, when one is in tremendous migraine pain, it would be very hard to resist taking a tablet that might bring relief.

Today, I take Topamax daily as a preventative. I'm not happy with the side effects, but feel it was my best option. I also watch my food intake and try different supplements like Calcium, Magnesium and CoQ10. I still take Imitrex rather frequently...however, since taking Topamax, at least I rarely need those shots (which are not fun!). I do find that having a coffee with my Imitrex gives them a little boost. Day to day, I try to avoid coffee. Sometimes when I really feel the need or want coffee, I will have what is termed around here as a "half caf," which is a cup half filled with regular coffee and half filled with decaf. I find that drinking regular coffee gives me headaches. I also think if I were to get into this habit, it would not be so effective when I have a big problem and am trying to use it for medicinal purposes.

BTW, I now am curious about inositol! Anxiety certain can trigger headaches/migraines.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote