View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Joopoele,

"If I have a copious meal before I take medication it will sometimes take more than 2 hours before the pills take effect. Sometimes it feels like I haven’t taken anything at all."

"If I eat a small snack, rich of carbohydrates, right after taking my pills I get the fastest response.

I get a better result if I take my pills with enough water."

Recently I had started eating a breakfast in the morning just before taking my first dose not realizing what I was doing, and I ended up feeling so sick to my stomach I thought I was going to pass out. To add insult to injury, the medication was taking longer to kick in! This is as you indicated the absorbtion issue with the Sinemet. (Carbo/Levo) So now, after I learned the hard way, I now take the medication on an empty stomach and with plenty of water with no ill effects. This gets progressively difficult through out the day as I consume meals, but I did find that the carbohydrates do help the absorbtion better. I think it's because the higher protein meals tend to stay in the gut a lot longer than the carbs, which burn up quickly.

If I can maintain the empty stomach prior to pill taking, it would be a wonderful thing, but I'm thin enough as it is at 132 lbs (60 kg); down from 147 lbs (67 kg) a few years ago and my doctor wants me to keep eating to bring my weight up. With my increased dose schedule, this has proved to be more difficult.

John

Last edited by jcitron; 11-25-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: A stupid typo!
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote