View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default solstice ain't for me!

Having lived in Scandinavia for nearly 6 years, I am well aware of the solstice. During the winter months, the sun didn't rise until nearly 10:00 a.m. and would set pretty near 2:00 p.m. If I remember correctly, we lost close to six minutes a DAY!!! The kids would go to school in the pitch black and come home in it as well. The school actually handed out reflectors for the kids to put on their clothing.

The summer months were the exact opposite and we actually have photos of us roasting marshmallows on the beach at midnight.

Many people had a hard time sleeping during the summer months (not me!), and needed black out curtains. I do think that being a teacher would be difficult. I can't tell you how often we would be playing croquet, baseball, basketball or riding our bikes and I would look at the clock and realize that it was w-a-y past our children's bedtimes and I can't help but think that I couldn't have been the only parent sending their children to school so exhausted.

To me, the 20 hours of sunlight during the summer months do not make up for the 20 hours of darkness during the winter months. I mean, you can only enjoy those sunlight hours so long and then you have to 1) go to work, 2) go to school 3) go shopping (and the stores aren't open at 1:00 a.m.!) Depression during the winter months has long been noted and I knew many people that were affected in that way.

So, call me what you may - a spoiled American who enjoys "normal" hours 12 months a year. I can see why it would be special to those who grew up that way .. but I ain't one of them!

By the way, I put down Houston (TX) just as readily so I hope that you friends realize that I am not picking on anyone personally.

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote