View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb great pics!

You know there is feral, and then there is FERAL...

Tippy our middle kitty, was a "farm" cat. She and her littermates were rescued from an outdoor cat who lived on a farm near a subdivision. I suppose you could call that "feral". The woman who did this, trapped her mother, and took her to the vet, where we adopted Tippy. These cats lived outdoors, but were not "feral" at all. Tippy obviously has Siamese traits...the apple head. All the kittens in her litter were black. Some of them were aggressive, but she was not.
The woman who rescued the litter, raised them in a garage, where her boyfriend restored antique cars. Tippy had never seen a house before. I'll never forget how excited she was in our home...she'd look at something, and come back to me, and purr, and run off and explore some more. Just like a toddler.

I have seen really wild feral kittens. They were not like Tippy at all. I suppose it depends on how many generations that live wild, to become untamed and mean.

I really suspect that those people who donated your Spice girls to the shelter were really the birth home. I just think they were.

For what it is worth, our vet thinks that barn cats...cats that live with humans but outside and are fed by humans, are really smarter and more clever than other cats. While Tippy is cool, she is also kind of weird in that she is afraid of alot of things. Perhaps being cooped up in a garage for several weeks, made her afraid--loud noises, tools etc? She has never been aggressive. But on a humorous note...she does occasionally let out a SCREAM when an interloper cat comes in our yard-- she screams right thru the window at it. Scared the dickens out of US one morning at 6am.! We didn't know she had it in her!

So when I say "feral" I mean really FERAL... there is a difference!

I hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow. If the Spice Girls get amber eyes with age...it is going to be a trip telling them apart! LOLOL

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote