View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 12:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had a cervical laminectomy done on Oct. 23. I think the thing that surprised me the most was the inability to use my arms after the surgery. Having the muscles in the back of your neck cut really effects the use of your arms. Getting in and out of a chair or bed was a real challenge. I also could not dress myself for the first week or so...same reasons. As far as pain goes I did alright on Tylenol #3 until the muscle spasms started...those about levelled me. If at all possible have some muscle relaxers on hand.

Button up tops are going to be a must for a week or so, you won't be able to lift your arms to get anything else on. I found that for the first couple of weeks I had to lay down a few times a day to take the pressure off of my neck or the spasms would get really bad. Its been a month for me now and I'm almost doing everything I did before. Still not driving, not comfortable with my range of motion yet....and have been told to lift nothing over 5 pounds for at least 3 months. I'm not sure if this is the norm, or if its because I had 4 level ACDF just a year ago.

You are definately going to need help at home for the first week or so at least. You'll need help with dressing, washing your hair, cooking...even a simple thing like unloading the dishwasher isn't an option...bending forward hurts!

If you have any more questions ask away and I'll help you as much as I can...this is all I can think of at the moment.
Misty
Misty67 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote