View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default The view from here

Perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The expression “seeing with the eyes of the heart” refers to a way of looking at others with love, making allowances for their shortcomings and wishing the best for them. “The eyes of the heart are not concerned with appearances but with essences, and as we cultivate these eyes we are able to learn from our suffering and to see the world with more loving, forgiving, humble, generous eyes,” says Desmond Tutu. Tutu also observes that “suffering is not optional,” but “while we are not free to choose whether we suffer, we are free to choose whether it will ennoble us or instead will embitter us.”

I agree with Tutu, that what you see depends on how you look.

It’s interesting, Greg, that you limit your remarks to people encountered for a moment. For all of us, is it hard to imagine looking in this way at people you know? Or the opposite, that whomever you get to know turns out to be dear to you because the eyes of your heart are always “on”? I think I’ve heard Greg say that when posting (in the old MGH forum) and reading posts, one should put on their “forum glasses,” which I would translate as “love glasses.”

But then I wasn’t supposed to be asking the questions.

I haven't read the links yet. I may be back.

Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote