Thread: Thyroid meds??
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Roxie, from my own

'thyroid experiences' I would say you've gotten a lot of good advice. I have been on 'synthroid' for well over 15 years, since getting to perimenopause and then beyond. I have had probably almost all of the synthroid dose variations there are, exceptfor the very lowest and highest.
I recommend in addition to the sites suggested that you go to the following:
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum....oid&redirCnt=1
This is one very active group, and there are a lot of good people there that help. In my case, I've referred you to the Hashimotos' or severely HYPOthyroid group. There is also a section for those with HYPER-thyroid issues [Grave's Disease]. There are lots of references to papers, articles and some good research sites that can put all of it into perspective.
Know that, finding the right thyroid meds, and doses is really a SKILL! When first having the hypo-thyroid issues, it took over 4-5 years to 'get it right'. There are also lots of advocates for the Armour and other 'natural'' replacement therapies...there are lots of pro's and con's to that and to the synthetic treatments. The need for therapy help isn't an issue tho. the hardest part is 'living' thru all the 'tweaking' of the dosages, at least in my opinion.
Another good site to try and take in is: http://www.endocrineweb.com/
I have found it both fascinating and scary that those little glands do so much work for us, and if any of them go klaphooey, well, we become a mess! More I learn, more I realize I have to learn MORE than I ever wanted to, but must.
Just remember, it may or may not all be connected. But what started the 'ball' rolling is hindsight. Most docs just treat the 'what there is now'. So we all have to go in informed and ask just the rite questions. Good luck! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote