View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 12:07 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Ali,

You wrote: I think that the fact sheet by the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) is accurate, which one?

The 1996 Fact Sheet is clearly a product of the prevalent belief at the time that the sympathetic nervous (SNS) system plays some sort of causal role in RSD, and since the SNS exerts tremendous control over circulation through dilating and constricting arteries, they felt safe in mentioning “cool, blue skin color”. They hoped that someday, someone would find out how the SNS was doing it.

In 2006, following the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) rejection of SNS causation, NINDS pretty much abandoned this idea. In addition, the view that this disorder is the result of central sensitization (CS) had taken hold; but CS occurs in the spinal cord and can’t explain a process in which skin is first red and then blue, so they changed those objective signs into non-specific color changes. That may help someone your age, but it doesn’t help clinicians confronted with this disease for the first time.

I have tried many supplements including Grape Seed Extract to try and help reduce swelling but they don't seem to work. There is no reason to expect that GSE would. GSE neutralizes OFRs, which cause inflammation. As NINDS once reported, RSD begins with warm red skin that later becomes cool and bluish; the warm red skin is inflammation, and by stopping it, you stop the RSD process before it becomes cool and cyanotic, and incurable.

It is true that swelling is a part of the inflammatory process, but it appears that other factors are at work here since swelling can continue long after inflammation ends. GSE would not affect those factors.

When I PMd your mother and recommended that you start taking GSE, my thought was that since it delays symptom migration by neutralizing OFRs, it might be effective even after inflammation becomes widespread. My message was based on the hope that it might still help, not that it would be as effective as it appears to be in preventing inflammation from developing.

Even if it does not stop the 2nd (cyanotic) stage from developing, I hope you will continue to take it: Much of your body remains unaffected, and antioxidants are the only protection I know of from further inroads by this disease.

.I am also experiencing horrible colour changes which I didn't have before. I don’t have anything to add to what I’ve said, but my concern for you compels me to ask if you could tell us more about these color changes: What is going on right now?

Your posts have shown you to be both thoughtful and spiritually generous, and all of us hate seeing you go through this…Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote