View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default about diuretics

I read the link you provided, and it does make sense in a strange sort of way. (kinda like everything dealing with ACM makes a wierd sort of sense LOL).

I think my initial "psycho reaction" was probably caused by the statement.... "...that one way to test if it is Chiari is to dehydrate myself..."

I had visions of someone depriving themselves of liquids for a 2 week period, and I kinda freaked. I hope you forgive me. *blushes* However, to your doctors credit, a controlled diuretic doesnt "dehydrate" the body, however it does cause the body to flush out excess fluids. I had never heard of the use of diuretics either, to be completely honest, and they were never tried with me in my personal case. But that may be because it struck me so hard and so fast that surgery was the only viable option in my specific case.

For others whose ACM isnt presenting in such a rapid fashion, or arent exhibiting such an extremely fast and severe neurological progression, it might be plausible to consider trying a series of diuretics before opting for surgery, especially since you seem to have had some success with this treatment (if only minimal).

However, thanks so much for bringing up this treatment option. I am sure that in the future it will bring hope to someone else. And keep us informed how it is going with you and yours!!!

God Bless you!!!

Dawn