View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 06:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Low Thyroid and Iron!

Hi there!
I've got a couple of questions about low thyroid levels and low iron . . .

About two months ago my hair started falling out (I'm only 25!). I'm on coumadin for a blood clotting disorder, and my doctors at first thought that this was causing it. But I insisted on having blood tests done, and my TSH levels were sky high and my T3 and T4 levels were really low. So basically, my thyroid has died. But they also found that my iron levels were "ridiculously low". This is strange because I eat a diet that is fairly high in iron. My doctor put me on thyroxine and prescription iron. My hair loss doesn't seem to be stopping.

So my question is, are these two things related? Has anyone heard of this? Also, if I eat a lot of iron, why would my blood iron be low? Where is it going to? My doctor doesn't seem to understand that this is weird. She keeps saying that we'll figure it out based on what my next blood test shows. But that will only show whether or not I have iron in my blood, not where it is going to! I also eat a lot of vitamin C in the form of my little Cuties tangerines, which is supposed to help iron absorption. So what is going on?
I am just worried about leukemia, to be honest. Unexplained iron deficiency anemia and hair loss just add up to something bad.

My doctor said that it could take one to two months for the hair loss to stop, and I'm approaching 6 weeks on the thyroxine and iron. But it hasn't slowed down! So does anyone know of things that would help both of these conditions? I'm getting discouraged about all of these things and would really appreciate some help!

Thank you!
Linnie
Lynns409 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote