View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Have you been tested for celiac disease?

It can cause unexplained iron deficiency anemia, hair loss due to nutritional deficiency (B12, iron, others) or hair loss due to autoimmune mechanism, and is more prevalent in those with autoimmune thyroid disease. Anyone with non-responsive iron deficiency should be screened for celiac disease.

Gastrointestinal symptoms (classic symptoms) may or may not be present. The symptoms can vary widely, and it can be essentially asymptomatic... until things like B12 deficiency, iron deficiency, or osteoporosis show up.

On celiac disease and :

Iron Deficiency

Type 1 Diabetes and Autoimmune Thyroid Disease

At Risk Population for Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Disease

My hair was falling out a lot when I was B12 deficient~ and stopped falling out when that was corrected. (I also have autoimmune thyroid disease)

Keep looking for other co-existing conditions (B12 deficiency, celiac disease/gluten sensitivity for starters)... there may be more to your story. What about family history? Is there autoimmune disease there?

Here are some good overview articles about celiac disease. You can also read the Diagnostic page in The Gluten File linked in my signature.

Detecting Celiac Disease in Your Patients by Harold T. Pruessner, MD (AAFP)

Gluten-Sensitive Enteropathy (Celiac Disease): More Common Than You Think by David A. Nelson, JR, MD, MS (AAFP)

Good luck... I hope you find some answers!

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote