View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 09:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I asked our geneticst about it. She had never heard of MMA giving off a sweet smell, BUT we sat and brainstormed together, she knows I'm a research hound. Both MSUD (which the kids do NOT have, but Jake did smell like) and MMA (which Katie has a form of and we don't know if Jake had as an infant) they both involve an amino acid called isoleucine, which in whatever kinda process it involves is believed to cause the maple syrup urine smell in MSUD.

So, we came to the theory that possibly Katie smelling sweet is due to the MMA (or more specificly the isoleucine pathway being messed up) and because Jake had a similar odor, though not exactly the same, it is likely he had this form of MMA as an infant.

We know Jake's wasn't UTI's. Though everytime I would ask about the smell they always said, well, it's probably the depakene, it can do weird things to urine. They knew he didn't have MSUD, so they weren't worried.

She said that unexplained (ie- not sinus or carnitor, etc) odd odors are often signs of underlying metabolic disorders.

Katie mostly smells sweet from her neck up and most specifically on one patch of hair that has a different texture and growth pattern than the rest. Jake has this exact same area of hair, but I've never known it to smell sweet, but I may just not have sniffed at him back then you know?

...........Jake's breath always smells like poop! Now I know that one is sinuses!

Wow! Langan smells like pot? How do explain that one to folks !!?!!
No, I've never personally done drugs, but pot is one you just know when you smell it!
Jake & Katie's Mom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote