View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 12:56 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemommy View Post
I had the same symptoms and my boss (surgeon) ordered a ct of my ribs to rule out recurrent rib fractures from my accident 4 yrs ago! the pain was that bad.
WHAT it was/is, is the costocartilage of your ribs which are connected to your cervicle/thoracic spinal nerves(c5 to t9) acting up. When you have a flare it causes "angina" pain and shortness of breath. I seriously thought I was having a heart attack or had a punctured lung the pain & shortness of breath was that bad (I'm only 45 & in really good health otherwise) They also discovered I have a intervertebral herniations from t5 all the way down the thoracic column, BESIDES TOS.
I took alot of anti-imflammatory meds and muscle relaxants and used the heating pad. This helped to settle it down. As hard as it was I had to relax and try not to be tense, as this made it worse. I did some very slow breathing exercises and stretches.
I think I was doing alot of lifting and this set it off. I just need to be very careful of what/how much I lift and the way I carry things. Loads don't always need to be heavy but if you carry it incorrectly it can cause a problem.
Hope you're feeling better.
I am interested in what you have to say, but admit I still don't get it...

What do you mean by herniation from the T5 all teh way down - do you mean flattened discs, or bulging discs? Bone on bone? Did you have an MRI of the thoracic spine that showed this, or a CT? I am wondering that because so far they've done 2 CTs of my chest area, but I don't think it goes down far enough to see the thoracic spine - they keep doing it too high up. (And why do they do it so narrowly? Gosh, doctors really bug me.)

I am going to go back to the hospital and ask for any results on the Tspine. I know my Cspine by MRI has some minimal findings which don't seem to correlate to any pain, as per the EMG. (All of these tests have to be balanced against eachother and analyzed...very frustrating with TOS!)

thanks a lot.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote