View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Yep have heard of it and am experiencing it.

Low ferritin, low iron binding capacity. Also look at your blood tests at your hemoglogin and hematacrit levels. Low iron is a precursor to those going down. If they are ok right now within levels then you are holding up ok but need to find the source. If they are below levels then doc needs to check out further but dont panic.

I recently had my thyroid out due to unmangeable hashimotos thryoiditis and a goiter.

So without meds I will always be hypothyroid.

Right now levels normal with meds.

But all iron tests are low and bordering on anemic. And I was feeling generally crappy especially around my period.

Saw both the gastro to check for intestinal bleeding for anemia. All tests from gastro came back clear.

So where was bleeding coming from. My periods had staretd to get worse and worse. Heavy bleeding which can result from hypothyroidism. Lots of pain, particularly from bowel movements hence the gastro visit and tests.

What is the result....my bleeding is from endometriosis. NOt only am I bleeding from my period but there is endo tissue in other places that is bleeding at the same time and then body absorbs it.

But it depletes your iron.

Not to say thats where yours is coming from but it could be heavy mentrual periods that are making you anemic like MrsD said.

Also MrsD is right the zinc helps thryoid conversion. I am low in zinc too.

And Rose is absolutely right. Get your B12 checked out and read her site. Mine was low and is now better. But iron and B12 can go hand in hand

And CAra is right on with gluten. And while after all the gastro tests everything came back fine for me, going gluten made me feel better. Now that I have a dx of endo I have read that there is a substance in wheat and oats that aggravates endo and increases the IgA and IgG antobodies similarly to people with gluten problems.

And last check out your iodine levels. You could be iodine deficient. I actually am based on the goiter I had. Iodine deficiency apparently also plays a part in endo since the thyroid, ovaries and breast are the most iodine rich organs in the body. BUt if you supplement you must work with a doctor n that.

watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote