Thread: Exercise
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

There are two things making us worse as the years go by - PD and lack of use. You know the phrase "use it or lose it"? For example, in ten years, two people could be affected exactly the same by PD - one works to maintain strength, flexibility, cardio-vascular fitness, stride length, co-ordination, balance, etc. and is doing pretty darned good. The other one hasn't done a thing and can hardly get around anymore. It's a lot easier to maintain ability than re-gain it, but there have been a few examples on this forum - Nikki, where are you? - of people who have gone on an extensive exercise program and improved unbelievably.

The difficult part is to stay motivated. I won't ever dare slack off completely while on vacation after what that did to me this summer. Never mind the loss of fitness, but it's been hard to get back onto routine. One of my big motivators is that if I don't exercise in the sunshine, I don't sleep as well. The other one is that if I don't exercise, I'll hold everyone back on our big summer hike. I love that hike so much, I'll do almost anything to be able to keep going on it.

Good luck with finding an exercise program that suits you and is fun.
wendy s is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote