View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

both my CT and MRI showed intervertebral herniations (it goes into the vertebral body above it) and when you look at my MRI's the body of the vertebrae look like they are cracked in half. The radiologist call them Smorls nodes and the one at t8/9 is REALLY BAD (so bad they thought I had cancer on my Ct scan ) but the thoracic spine is only a very small problem with my breathing, this usually causes pain not S.O.B. The TOS can cause S.O.B. due to damage to the phrenic nerve, depending upon what/where your TOS originates is what nerve/vascular bundle branch is affected. (I schedule surgery and volunteer/teach anatomy to high school aged kids so if I get to technical remind me) All the nerves branch off into the intercostal area of the ribs (the muscle tissue holding your false ribs to your sternum and true ribs) this is what causes us to inhale/exhale and allows the ribs to expand due to it's flexiblity (or in our case the lack of)
What helped me was warm moist compresses, RELAXATION/BREATHING exercises, muscle relaxers and not lifting anything. You have to rest to give these muscles/nerves a break. It took 3 weeks for mine to finally go subside. We didn't realize what it was until after I saw the ortho guy and he said it wasn't from my back.
If I may suggest using the warm compresses on the front of your upper chest area and over the shoulder and under your armpit/breast area. You can even use it on the whole rib cage area. (which is what I had to do) I also wear a really good sports bra. unfortunately I'm "endowed" (i'm only 5'3" and 135lbs) but it takes a toll on my upper chest muscles and I can't have the underwire on my ribs, man does THAT hurt! It helps alittle. I also just ordered a Sully Shoulder stablizer to help keep everything in place and open up my thoracic outlet. I asked my boss (who 1st diagnosed this) and he figured it wouldn't hurt and gave me a script. Now I'm waiting to see if the insurance will cover it. I do have really good insurance and DME coverage so I'm hopeful.
If you have any other questions pls ask or PM me.
I've also went back to my chiro this week looking for a temp fix as I cannot have surgery for at least 6 more months due to a new job and they just recently started TOS work. I was amazed and glad. I actually had feeling in my hand for about 1 day after seeing him. I'm hoping to buy some time at least or maybe avoid surgery all together. We'll see.
horsemommy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote