View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm a long term migraine sufferer who has put a LOT of time and thought into controlling the problem. It is my belief that for many of us, "control" is the operative word here and not total "cure." It often takes a multi-faceted approach to get good relief. Probably everyone should try an elimination diet at the onset. I think getting a good book on the subject is the first place to look. In addition, seeing a neurologist with a special interest in the topic is the probably the next thing to do. I do know that certain medication and certain medication in conjunction with one another can be helpful. Topamax, although a difficult medication, has a reputation for bringing help to many. The "abortive" type medications can also be wonderful. These are things like Maxalt and Imitrex. Everyone should be very careful to avoid taking meds like Exedrin, especially in excess. Rebound, where a medication or substance causes your headache to come back quicker and/or stronger, is a very real problem. Some vitamins to try and/or ask your Dr. about include: Calcium/Magnesium, B2 (B Vitamins in general) and CoQ10. Migraine suffers should probably either not drink coffee, drink decaf or keep it to a minimum. One option to consider would be to only have a regular cup of coffee when you are trying to get rid of a migraine (or headache). Have your coffee with a medication like Imitrex to provide a little boost...help it to go away quicker. If you are drinking coffee all the time, this will NOT work nearly as well (if at all).
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote