View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 01:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I found it! Ummmm, maybe you didn't want me to?
http://www.topamax.com/utilities/ima...x.pdf#zoom=100
Page 5, Right column, Table 7: Tinnitus and Topamax. I *think* you read that as 2 people out of 171 (N=171) experienced tinnitus while taking 200mg/day versus 0 people out of 92 on the placebo. (At the bottom of page 5, in the left column, they explain a little about the test.) It's also in Table 10 (page 6, right column) which seems to be a list of all side effects seen.

If they're using 200 mg/day as their high test... 350 mg/day is really a LOT! I hope her bicarbonates are being checked regularly? (I read the bit about acidosis before wading down to find tinnitus. I wasn't sure if tinnitus was associated with acidosis or not, but it wasn't mentioned.)

One other thought... and a much happier one at that... the reason I thought of swimmer's ear is because both girls just had it. Samantha told me her jaw was hurting when she bit down on something, but it was her jaw near her ear. I immediately decided it was ear pain and her body was misinterpreting the pain. Any chance Riley has some back teeth coming in and she's confusing the teeth pain with her ear? (See? Isn't that a nice thought? )

Anyway, I guess I'm with you on thinking it's the Topamax. And, I know it's been the best drug for Riley. Sorry.

Failing the hearing test... I was talking with someone? Reading somewhere? just recently and someone posted they failed the test (or their child) because of the instructions. Something about they were told to raise their hand when they heard a "buzz" and they only heard "beeps" so they didn't raise their hand. (I know I have the "buzzes" and "beeps" wrong, but you get the idea. If they had been told, "raise your had any time you hear a noise," it would have been okay.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote