View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 01:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Reflux/ question regarding IGE/IGG testing

Hello,

Haven't been here for a while. Kayla is 8 yrs old and has Autism, Tourette's, and OCD Traits. She was recently diagnosised by her Ped. to having acid reflux. However, we now believe she has had it from the age 2, but it was misdiagnosised as suspected seizures(choking and vomitting in sleep). So far, she hasn't been responding to the medications very well.

Kayla was on Prevacid for 1 1/2 month the first time, than was switched to Zantac for about 2 weeks which didn't work due to the her aversion to the taste of the liquid medication. She is now back on Prevacid. Last night she got sick shortly after taking it, and woke up this morning feeling sick again. We gave it to her again this morning but it did not help. She hasn't been eating well except in the afternoon. Which can also be variable. Today, she hasn't been eating well at all.

I just got the allergy testing back. Which is confusing... They did IGE and IGG Rast testing.

IGE Total...Conc IU/ml...25.00 Absorbance..0.166

Egg white....0.12 (I Mild reaction) Absorb.....0.030
Wheat...0.02 (Negative)

Milk was negative in both IGE and IGG Testing

Wheat...11.55 (III-Moderate) in IGG Testing only. Absor..1.016

So now I am wondering if she is allergic to Wheat instead of milk which we were eliminating. She also has been tested for Celiac Disease through the blood test several times which have been normal. I have Celiac Disease. She has been on the GF diet in the past but we did not see much difference.

Is there a test for Gluten Intolerence vs Celiac Disease? So far, she has had IGA and IGG testing once, and the anti-tTG/anti-endomysial, which were both negative. The IGA was negative and the IGG was equiv., so they did the other testing. She is also allergic to grasses. Also, what does it mean when the allergy testing shows a wheat allergy for IGG but not for IGE? Also, are her IGE Total Levels considered to be low at "25.00"? Are is this still within the normal range?

She will be going back to Wisconsin this Friday. Any ideas of testing anyone might suggest we might want to do? I know that he is going to do an Asthma test since she is having chest pain with the reflux. She also has a cough that I think is related to the reflux. Although, at times it is hard to tell from Tics or a cold.

We went recently to Wisconsin to see a DAN Doctor at the Allergy Associates.

Rast IGE tested Dermatophagoides farine?, Egg White, Cow milk, wheat, corn (flour), peanut, Candida Albicans, and Altemaria tenius. IGG tested for Cow milk, wheat, candida albicans.

Kayla also has a history of having dental problems we thought was related to the medications, but now we wonder. She also has trace/low amounts of Ketones in her urine (unexplained)

She will see a GI Doctor that visits in November. We are going to ask if they going to do stomach testing to test for Celiac while they are at it. We are now wondering if she has EE, which we heard is related to allergies.

Her brothers also had testing. One of her brothers had very high IGE Totals at 223.48 and he is 12 yrs old. His Grasses for IGE came back at 26.71 (V) which is very high. Can this cause a severe reaction like food does? If the grass counts get too high? He also has Asthma. On the IGE testing it showed he was allergic to Egg Whites .10 (I), Cow Milk .15 (I), Wheat .59 (III), Corn .31(II), Peanut .51 (III), Ragweed .75 (III). The doctor though he wasn't allergic to Wheat or Corn instead thought it was cross-reactivity. Now, I have read that during pollen season that one can have reactions to the food is the same group. So might he also be allergic to wheat and corn during pollen season? He also appears to get itchy while eating Watermellon and Cantelope.

His IGG on milk came back 14.47 (III), and Wheat 2.37 (I). Skin testing showed allergies to tree pollens, grass, cats, dogs, and mold.

My oldest also showed more reaction to the IGG than the IGE his total was 69.73 and he is 15 yrs.

Thanks

Diana
Thanks

Diana
specialneeds is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote