View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 12:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

thank you tam and ann- i appreciate your posts.

what exact bloodwork should i ask for? the pain doc (who doesn't see people a 2nd time...i am very annoyed as he said he'd research for me the name of a physiatrist and a TOS surgeon for me...but when i have phoned his office MANY times i have not gotten any response. they give you over to a NP who "monitors" you after that initial visit. they even write the perscriptions and then initial w/the doctor's name. i think it's how they do it in this silly state as Melissa had the same experience. SO I am back to my search for a treating doctor.)

Luckily the pain doctor i found for that one-time-visit was willing to re-prescribe my Lyrica which is for "up to 6 100mg pills a day". the TOS neurologist who originally prescribed it is retired and all i can seem to find are temporary docs who will re-subscribe my meds but don't engage in intelligent discussions of what meds and what strengths are appropriate for me right now. As i said this pain dr told me that blood sugar problems are not assoc. with Lyrica but offered to allow me have the fasting test for blood sugar. This is why I would like to know what ELSE to ask for. I will try to find a treating doctor to order the tests I desire.

If my thyroid is an issue and it doesn't show up on the regular T3, T4 tests I'm not sure how to find out if I have that problem. Any suggestions?

And my initial Q? remains. Is the weight gain on Lyrica due to something in particular or can it be due to multiple factors? I do have an increased appetite so I wondered if it was due to that or something else. I think from what Tam says for her it may have been due to fluid retention?

Lyrica isn't really an anti-depressant. Are you saying Tam that it operates as one?

Tam, I'm w/U on the exercise front. I do go in a pool or walk daily and I limit my exercise to my lower body. Even so my arm can swell; it's a circulation issue--that the fluids get damned up in the BP (PeterEdgelow's description) and of course the occlusion in the subclavian vein. That's why I was told to not exercise vigorously. Warm water is great I find but I don't think it really gets my heart rate up much--however the good side of that is that I don't get much swelling w/a moderate water workout.

Last edited by fern; 12-05-2007 at 08:44 PM.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote