View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 01:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default PCS and PTSD

Most of my PCS symptoms have nothing to do with PTSD, but like McGee, I can see a very clear relation.

Prior to bonking my head, I was always someone with a heightened startle reflex due to PTSD. My PTSD comes from years of sexual and physical abuse (there- now it's out there). So, the element of surprise is what usually 'set me off'. Even things like seeing something out of the corner of my eye that I wasn't expecting would bring on a 'startle'. (kind of scream, jump, arms fly up in the air- is the best way to describe it)

Now after bonking my head, it's so much worse. Instead of being simply jumpy and startled, I go into myoclonic jerking. I look like I'm having seizures. And the things that cause it are more than just the element of surprise. Now it's flashing lights, loud noises and being touched. Not very much fun for my husband sometimes.

PTSD has certainly made this a lot worse, in my opinion. My neurologist also understands that, which is why she has me on klonopin- something I never took before this.

I've already had the years of counseling and am truly past all of that 'stuff'. Unfortunately, my body isn't.

~ Groucho Marx

RisibleGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote