View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Glenn, welcome!

It's so hard to know where to begin to learn about neuropathy, all the neuropathies and the language that we at times speak. We've all here fumbled thru the medical diagnosis aspects...some with good docs, some not -who have had to go thru many docs to just get a diagnosis, let alone treatment. Then there is the pain? For many, trying to ignore it is the only way to deal with it; for others, varied medications, supplements and therapies are the way to go...Coping is key to dealing with it all, learning about what is going on in the 'neuropathy' processes can help deal with it?
I encourage you to read a bunch of prior posts and learn what questions have been asked before...and if there are any answers or not. The one thing I have found in common to us all - is that the WHY this happens is usually not known, the treatments-the options and what you can do to help yourself be in a better position to help those nerves heal is what we talk about here and what docs can or should be doing.
I encourage you to read the 'stickies' at the top of the page. Any highlighted blue 'link' cited there, well...just click on it and you should get a new window of reading. They aren't as organized as one new to this all would like, but learning along the way is the norm?
For starters tho I recommend the following sites:
http://www.neuroexam.com/content.php?p=2 This is a good intro as to what the basic and subsequent neuro exams look for and why.
This next site is a bit more technical, but it can help you learn about all the different factors that come into play in any diagnosis.....
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/poncelet.html
Lastly, with those as introductions...check out: http://www.lizajane.org/
These were put together by a member here, with input from many PN folks dealing with the different kinds of neuropathies.... I view this as a 'roadmap' of tests to keep track of as you go down the road...when viewed with the other two mentioned web sites, you can find your way down the right roads for diagnoses and testing. Or, just re-assure your own self that your docs are on the right track..if not the only track... LizaJane's sheets can and DO help you keep track of things...as two years down the road? You mite not remember when you took what med that didn't work, or when your last blood test was! As time goes on, these things can smush together into a terrible mess of a history! Be sure to get copies of all test results tho!
Last of all? Most important tho...no question is too simple, silly or insignificant!
Remember that nerves can die-well, rapid-fire fast! They can take months to years to heal. Less is known now about the 'healing' part than the dying parts. When nerves heal they at times feel as bad as when dying! So, try and do the best to help them, and ask questions away! Have a small to let you know that others here do understand lots, much, but not all of your pains. So many here have helped me to think differently about my pain, and how best to deal with it...I am sure they will help you as well. - j

Oh about the stress? Who wouldn't be with such pain? DUH? I am not belittling you here, it's that the pain, and the worry about that can make things worse? Put yourself on an island beach, lite breezes and soft winds, warm sun and a cool beverage in hand. I find that feeling/picture always makes me feel better and calmer. Try your own good image?
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote