View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 06:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

KathyM

We live in the world in sad times.

I work in a Male homeless hostel as a Support Worker, the majority of the residents are under 20 years old.

There are among those many from dis-jointed families with no male role models. Low in aspirations and goals in life. Lack basic lifeskills, but above all total disrepect for society. In England we currently have a Youth problem...They know under 18 the law tends not to punish them... therefore they believe they are above the law. Respect for elders is a thing of the past, and respect for the law has gone out of the window.

There are others in the same age group who come from families who apparently have tried, and tried.. yet these young men choose to rebel break the law, break house rules, and just like deprived young men, end up homeless.

I get very angry in my job, mainly at the powers that be.. because this is an education failing..

Current popular culture promotes bad behaviour and disrespect... it promotes violence, and anti....-dis-establishment.[views].. and conforming to the common rules in Society..
R.A.P. has a part to play in gang culture where your 'Homies' are more important than parents/gaurdians.
My bigest hate is when people know who did wrong but will not say 'Grassing' 'Squealing'.......

Now days protecting the guilty is more important tha telling the truth.. fear of retibution is the key factor... but the saying 'Hounour among of thieves' or 'Omerta' [code of silence] can only be taught from childhood. And sadly if the parents of young children do not share the views, that these codes are wrong... they will never be taught.

I am currently [at work] working on a film project where i work with four residents who want to make a difference. They talk on film of their life history, and life on the streets and in the hostel.. The idea is to take it to senior schools to show life is not greener on the otherside. That Mum and Dad may not be wrong after all or that Mum and Dad ARE CORRUPTING YOU [and how to get help immediately, to get out of a situation]

A sixteen year old Heroin Adict, once told me,

'At the age of ten i knew how to prepare Injections of heroin, and how to Administer them into both my Mum'S and Step Dads veins' . Disturbing is not the true value of the word or its meaning or message.

You may be glad to know that 16 year old is now 20,...has his own flat... has been free of heroin for 19 months.. and has a part time gardening job[ which is a huge acievement due to not only his addiction but criminal background].

I am a firm believer that the ADULTS OF THIS WORLD should reclaim AUTHORITY. [ That does not mean beating the crap out of someone, that means Education and Education and RULES, whether moral or social but boundaries that we all should not cross]

Until this begins sadly young people will continue to make many wrong choices in life and sadly if not corrected will pass them on to their offspring....

David

WE... AS ADULTS.... HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO CHANGE THE WORLD WE LIVE IN

DMACK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote