View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

MB, wow, that's expensive! I'm sorry you have to pay for it yourself, that sucks. Have you applied for Medicaid? If you get into the program, they'll even go retroactive up to a year I think, or maybe only six months, but anyway, they'll help pay your back-dated bills.

If it weren't for that program, I'd already be dead from aids. I take many thousands of dollars a month in medicines alone. (I hate being a burden on the taxpayers, but my parents put many hundreds of thousands of dollars into the system, so they told me not to feel so bad, lol).

Your health is most important, though. I know it'll be expensive, but I think going back to the neuro you like and trust is vital. This other quack is doing you no good, from what I can tell.

Good and bad news on my case... the dr. called with the results. The worst part is that I had to ask about the ACM results, cuz he was too busy discussing another subject.

He called to tell me that he needs to schedule another mri a.s.a.p., one with "thinner slices". Apparently, they found a spot on my brain that is "of great concern to them".

I was scheduled to see him on Wed., but I guess that will change if I don't get the new mri done by then. As urgent as he made it sound, though, I'm pretty sure they'll have it done by Tues. Oh, and when they tell you it will take 24-48 hours for the test results to be available, they LIE. My dr. called me within hours of the mri being done.

He scared me, to be honest. Aids hasn't scared me, the thought of dying doesn't scare me... but this does. I know there's always a chance that it may be nothing, but from the speed he wants the test done, as well as his tone of voice, that seems unlikely. Plus, when I asked about the malformation, he said it "isn't important right now", which seems ominous.

Ah well, we all have our crosses to bear, I guess. It just seems, sometimes, that I'm carrying more than my fair share.

I hate to scare you, or put a damper on your optimism, but... SS can sometimes take YEARS to get. Even if they say yes right off the bat, it can take them up to six months to start paying you and give you medicaid/medicare. You will also qualify for food stamps at that point.

They make you jump through many hoops. One big one is that soon you will receive a letter saying they have set you up an appt. with a psychologist. It seems to be standard fare with them. What you say during that appt. will have a major impact on whether or not they say "yes". There's a fine line you have to walk between letting the dr. know just how bad off you are, and being considered hysterical and overreacting.

They will most likely say "no" the first time out... you'll have to appeal the decision. They do that to weed out all the people who just want a free ride from those who are in need. Only the truly seriously ill are going to jump through all their hoops for months if not years.

Just keep bulldogging your way through them, honey. You'll get what you deserve eventually.

Best of luck, I'll pray and keep my fingers crossed.

Rogue

There are only two types of people in this world... those who bring you peace and those who don't.
theoneRogue420 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote