View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello! Hard to believe how fast these little ones are growing!

We are on our second experience with lamictal, so I consider myself something of an unwilling expert.

Seriously, lamictal has been the best med for Langan. The most obvious side effect for us- insomnia. All night parties. Langan has gotten past those, for the most part, but she now needs melatonin every night to get to sleep.

We also saw some balance problems the first go round (although balance has never been Langan's strong point, she was noticeably wobblier with it). We haven't seen that as much this time.

For us, the lower doses have been more effective. We are actually now in the process of lowering the dose b/c each of the last two increases has seen a marked increase in seizure activity. Our neuro thinks it's the lamictal, even though Langan's dose is not very high. So in that sense, the excruciatingly slow increases are good- you can see if there are negative changes from them.

We were told by a prior neuro that lamictal is the only AED that stimulates the nervous system instead of depressing it. Not sure if that's still true or not but it certainly does stimulate in the night time!! It is also supposed to have less impact on learning, which I think is true as it compared to the long list of other meds we tried.

Hope this helps! And I hope lamictal is the right med for you guys!

(((hugs)))

Wendy
langansmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote