Thread: A question...
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 02:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks people....

Finally somebody understands!!
When I phoned SS about this they were rude to me, like I was trying to take and keep ALL the ssdi payments from them to me, like I had some kind of a problem giving money to my wife and children. No explaining could get them to get it, I felt humiliated, like I was some kind of greedy father who would see his children starve.
For those of you who STILL don't get it, all I was asking is that if you are going to pay ME, MY SSDI benefits, do it as if I was working, just pay me whatever to make up 70% of my wage and I'll take it from there, just like i used to when i was working. I mean GOBZ, they get it all anyway, sheeesh.
STill don't get it?
They said that they would pay ME 70% of what I earned, MINUS what SSDI PAYED ME. So because my wife and kids get a cheque from SS (I assume because I paid for all these years thinking it would be a benefit that because I have a wife and kids, that they would get something till they are 18, or in my wifes' case till I die or reach retirement, as a means of offsetting the fact that NOW I DON'T HAVE NEARLY ENOUGH MONEY FOR THEM TOO. IN other words, if i was single, no kids , i'd get 70% of my wage paid to me. BUT because I have kids, it's like my company gets away with paying me what amounts to LESS THAN 70% of my income , because cheques go to my wife and kids in THEIR names. What is missing is essentially a "penalty" for having a wife and kids, what woulld be a little extra for them, payed by SS, is really, just taken from ME, so their is no EXTRA for them. We ALL have to live on a much reduced wage because I got chronically, terminally ill.
Don't get me wrong; I'm damn glad we aren't living under a bridge, and thank my lucky stars for ssdi, I just think it stinks that what would be "welfare for the dependants of the profoundly ill and dying" is REALLY "welfare for the corporations". Does this make sense to everybody now?
I would absolutely LOVE to be able to work my job that i spent 20 years and over $200,000 to obtain, I would be on easy street (or is it "boardwalk" in monopoly) but because I CAN'T Work, through no fault of my own (and might i add, at a "fortune 500 company" in the richest and most powerful nation on earth), then both the government and my company, are giving me, personally, less than half (about 43%, when you take off the bonus and the cheques to my wife and kids) of what I would have been making working, even though, i was led to believe that I was "guaranteed", 70% of my "income" through all the taxes and deductions to my previous income.
NOw I know that there are a lot of people out there who didn't go through a generation of hell at school, or weren't "on the books" when they got fried (and I feel especially bad for some of our military guys, who are actually getting "less than nothing", nevermind 45%, for putting their lives on the line and are now in even worse physical shape than I'm in); But just remember, I'm not whining, one doesn't need a lot of money to live happily, I' just really saying that sometimes it's better to just die than get seriously ill and unable to work. At least my family would be wallowing high on the hog from my life insurance money, rather than worrying about how to pay for everything that one NEEDS in life, not WANTS, NEEDS. I have sympathy for ALL of yOU on SSDI. So do you get my message now?
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote