View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 05:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A question about scoliosis..all help appreciated

Hi all,

I'm in my 50s and a MRI done back in 2002 stated that there was a "mild left convex scoliosis of the mid thoracic spine", (I have degenerative disc disease throughout my spine as well and a few perineural cysts at different levels also. I have a Chiari Malformation as well but that, I don't think, would contribute to the problem).

There were no measurements given in the report (as in degrees) so I have no idea what exactly "mild" means. Do they only state degrees if it's beyond a certain point? Is that why it only states mild? Or does it depend on the person writing the report?

I've read that it can get worse as we age and that is the reason for my questions. Does it ALWAYS get worse? Does/can the fact that I have DDD increase the possibility of it getting worse?

The MRI report did not state any other problems in the thoracic area except minimal end plate wedging at T5 and T7 and degenerative end plate changes at T8 -T9.

The reason for my questions is that I've had a lot of pain in the thoracic area, that radiates to my ribs, for a long time now. It always gets really bad if I walk for very long or been on my feet for very long etc. It can get quite intense if I try to push myself (has brought me to tears. Giving birth didn't even bring me to tears).

The docs/neuros I've been to have not given me any answers/addressed this at all and I'm just wondering if the scoliosis could be the culprit. Could it be getting worse and causing the problem? Should the scoliosis be watched to see if it's causing further problems? Could the DDD spreading cause the scoliosis to get worse?

I have a multitude of other symptoms but I think/believe they are related to the DDD in other areas and/or the CM.

Any thoughts/advice would be extremely appreciated.

With kindest regards and wishes for better tomorrows for all,
MoonAngel
MoonAngel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote