Thread: BBB update
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I thought I'd post it here:

The highly permeable blood-brain barrier: an evaluation of current opinions about brain uptake capacity. Dec 2007

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...=pubmed_DocSum

Quote:
The blood-brain barrier is often perceived as relatively impermeable, and various cut-off values for zero or limited brain permeability have been suggested. The validity of these values has been evaluated in this review. The barrier appears to have a very high permeability and absorptive capacity: sufficient to absorb compounds with polar surface area >270A(2), molecular weight >1000Da, logD<-3.5 and equilibrium brain-to-blood concentration ratio <0.01 well. Sufficient intestinal uptake indicates good passive brain uptake potential. The uptake is potentially more sensitive to involvement and changes of active transport than in the intestines. A physiologically based in vitro-in vivo method for prediction of brain uptake is presented.
PMID: 18061888

I don't have the full text, so I can't tell you any more about it. I just remembered this BBB thread~ and thought someone might be interested in it.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote