View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face B12...

I work for a nursing home medications provider...and I can attest to the
concern for B12 levels. Many tests are ordered today... more than ever.

Also there are new papers on elevated homocysteine levels and AD.
(elevated homocysteine occurs when B12 is low).

Also our own NIH (National Institutes of Health) now recommend along with
dieticians that all adults in USA over 50 take a quality B12 supplement. That is how important it is becoming.

It is hard to realize that 9 cents a day, could help forstall some dementia in adults today. It is hard to understand that estrogen therapy can cause multi-infarct dementia. It is hard to realize that some dementias are due to
low thyroid function in the elderly.

That is why we have the internet....we can find the newest papers, even from other countries..where this research is being done.

We are on the verge of some tests that will enable doctors to diagnose AD more accurately and effectively. And many of them are now reading about these interventions I have listed, as well as those Cara posted. It has been my experience on the net, that people come here and search everywhere, when they are frustrated with their own medical care. The strength of the net is finding these answers, and support.

Edit to add... some people are finding that statin drugs used to lower cholesterol, create a loss of memory, and confusion that resembles AD.
Here is a site, Dr. Graveline had this happen to himself... and he wrote a book about it:
http://www.spacedoc.net/short_term_memory_loss.html

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 10-02-2006 at 05:02 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote