Thread: A question...
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Trust me, I can totally relate to every single thought that you typed out, so much that it felt like I was actually typing the words right along with you.
I would also give anything to be able to go back to living the life I once knew, dealing with becoming disabled and the feelings/life adjustments that go along with facing that reality, is the hardest challenge I've ever faced.

The whole LTD dependent offset issue plain sucks in my book
If it helps any, please know that there are people out there (lawyers as well as other advocacy groups) that are trying very hard to put an end to such a questionable practice as offsetting dependent benefits.

I can understand LTD offsetting our own SSD benefits so we don't exceed the percentage as per what our LTD contracts state, but factoring in and offsetting other family member dependents benefits is pushing things way to far

Even though the LTD carrier has to increase their portion of benefits once the dependents age out from collecting SSD off our records, normally things only get harder dealing with the LTD carrier from that point on.
When LTD is advised that they need to increase what they've been paying due to no longer being able to offset childrens benefits, they get very creative in all of a sudden denying the whole claim
For some people it's a smooth process, and others like myself it's not

I wish I knew long ago exactly how group LTD works, if I did I would've purchased my own private disability plan which normally doesn't offset dependents benefits, it would have saved me a lot of headaches

Hang in there as I'm trying to do. I guess we should be fortunate that we have any LTD plan at all, many people do not, I feel bad for those people who have nothing to fall back on while awaiting the SSDI approval process.

Have a happy holiday
b2006 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote