View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Everyone, you all are right to

summarize key web sites for newcomers. The 'stickies' are chock full of good info, but it's a first-come, first-posted kind of format.
To newcomers tho even the Washington University site can be whelming, if not overwhelming, particularly if you have no 'language basics' in terms of testing, diagnostics or even how symptoms are defined.
That is why I first recommend: http://www.neuroexam.com/content.php?p=2

Which is a basic outline of what a neuro does on first, second, third and more visits....That, in conjunction with LizaJane's worksheets help one map out, what is being done, and why. Also keep track of it all.
Next I recommend the Poncelet protocols, as they take the 'neuropathy' aspects a step further, once other diagnosable issues can be ruled out, either in part or whole. Then on to the more squirrelley stuff?

However, I encourage many, and often that one try and read this article on 'dermatology': http://telemedicine.org/stamford.htm While this specific paper/tutorial deals specifically with diabetic neuropathies, many of the chemistries, metabolism dynamics and the affects/effects relating to our lymph and vascular systems is important to know and understand. Especially when it comes to the BURNING when COLD and vice-versa.

These I feel are what should be considered 'foundations' or 'stepping-stones' to understanding more about what is happening to us, then what to do about it all. All also are in pretty basic ENGLISH, tho full of med-speak, with a med dictionary and thesaurus on hand [the descriptions of our pain are fraught with synomyms!] and a concerted effort, it all CAN be figgered out.

I am not, mind you knocking the Washington University site at all! To me, it's as good as peanut butter! It's just it can be a real bear to wrestle if you don't have a clue about the language [That was my case!]...just takes a bit of map-reading type 'orientation'.

Hope these help! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote