View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Something is working for me.

I have progressed very little, if any, since I began taking DM in 2002.

I was diagnosed in April 2001 at a very ealy stage of motor involvement. I began 3 tablets per day of generic sinemet carbi/levo 25/100. That eliminated the mild motor symptoms of dragging my left foot and some bradykinesia. Later in 2001 I started 200mg amantadine, later decreased to 100mg to relieve leg and ankle swelling. After reading about CoQ10 early in 2002, I began taking 3x300mg of that per day.

A few months later I learned about an already FDA-approved drug naltrexone, introduced by forum member AshleyK as potentially neuro-protective at very low doses. AshleyK was/is apparently taking naltrexone, hoping thereby to achieve arrest of PD progression. She was aware that some PD patients were experiencing symptom non-progression similar to the elimination of further exacerbations of multiple sclerosis that many of those patients have experienced with LDN (low dose naltrexone) treatment. I seriously considered LDN for myself.

I subsequently discovered that experiments by Dr. Hong's research group at the National Institute of Environmental Health on protection of mouse midbrain dopamine neurons from inflammation was achieved by extremely low concentrations of a group of drugs that included naltrexone, naloxone, and dextromethorphan. Being aware that dextromethorphan is available over the counter in several antitussive preparations (cough syrups), and that a prescription is required for naltrexone, I decided to add a nightly 3-4mg dose of DM to my other meds. That is the amount of DM in a half teaspoon of Pedia Care Cough. Recommended dose for cough supression in a 6-12 year-old is 2 teaspoons (14mg) every 6-8 hours.

The history of this saga can be found by searching the old neurotalk post archive under dextromethorphan or DM.

Finally, I can report that I have experienced little progression of PD motor symptoms since adding DN to my other meds, although I have developed the tendency to shuffle-walk after arising in the morning before taking meds. Any changes in my cognitive functions are minimal, mostly slow recall of names of persons and of some objects on occasion.

Like Steve, when I occasionally forget my afternoon sinemet (half a regular and a cr) I have little or no loss of function. I simply wait until the next morning to take the regular daily round. Also, like Steve, I think the decreased stress achieved by my retirement last December has really worked to my advantage.

Current daily meds:

2x50/200 generic sinemet cr, two half tablets 25/100 generic regular sinemet
(total 500mg levodopa)
100mg amantadine
900mg CoQ10
150mg Welbutrin
30mg Cymbalta
*Shaklee Vitalizer (multivitamins plus dietary supplements) daily pack
*Shaklee HerbLax (herbal laxative preparation) 3-4 tablets
82mg aspirin

*my wife is a distributor of Shaklee products.

My neuro has no problem with my taking DM. Whether it is actually providing neuroprotection or my case of PD is just a slower progressing type is still unknown. At any rate, I intend to continue taking it indefinitely, or until I am convinced that there is something more effective.

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote