View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 03:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MG is not MS or Parkinsons, etc...

Nancylee,
Perhaps folks with other conditions may be helped by smoking pot, I really doubt Myasthenia Gravis is one of them. Myasthenia does NOT cause spacticity or pain. Two symptoms marijuana probably helps because it relaxes the muscles, etc.

As for ocular symptoms, I know marijuana is supposed to relieve high ocular pressure from diseases like glaucoma. Myasthenia doesn't cause high ocular pressures.

The difference with Myasthenia Gravis compared to some other neurological conditions is that our muscles are already weakened from antibody blocked receptor sites. Our muscles are fine, our nerves are fine...it's the connection in between that is blocked.

When your muscles are weakened, you do not need to relax them even more.
In fact, if your myasthenia has affected your lung capacity, it may induce respiratory crisis to smoke marijuana or use any type of relaxant.

Medical marijuana does have it's purpose. I have a cousin with a lot of spacticity from Multiple sclerosis and marijuana does help her with it somewhat.

So, if you plan to "partake of the herb"; please make an educated choice and I would suggest not smoking/ingesting by yourself in case weakness does get worst.

Best wishes,
Ro - myasthenic for 26 years