View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 06:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I found my pre-test prep instructions from Mayo. Here is what they say to prepare for the sweat test:
1. No meds that cause dryness 48 hours before test, like antidepressants, antihistamines, Flexeril or over-the-counter cold meds. Check with your doc if you're not sure about stopping any of these.
2. Day of test, no elastic body stockings or holter monitor. 30 minutes prior, stay indoors and drink hot beverages if possible.
3. No lotions, makeup or shaving day of test.

To prepare for the tilt table test:
1. No smoking four hours prior.
2. No caffeine two hours prior.
3. 48 hours prior, no meds causing dryness of mouth, nose or bladder.
4. You may eat a light meal beforehand.

The sweat test to me was just like laying out in the sun in a paper bikini after I'd been liberally sprinkled with powder. I actually enjoyed the first half hour because for once my hands and feet weren't freezing, and I snoozed right through it. The last 15 minutes, when I actually began to sweat, were a bit uncomfortable but not unbearable.

The tilt table test was weird but not too big a deal. They stimulate the nerves in your arm and leg that make you sweat, and that was a bit like bugs crawling on the skin, but I've felt worse. For the actual tilting part, I went from lying flat to upright at about 70 degrees, nothing too dramatic, and although I had a drop in blood pressure, it wasn't at all scary because I was strapped to a board and had the tester right next to me, so I felt perfectly safe.

Hope that helped. At least these tests don't hurt.

fanfaire

Last edited by fanfaire; 12-13-2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: left something out
fanfaire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote