View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You are not alone in your thoughts or how you're thinking. Of course surgeons have to state all risks. They just have to, even if not a single one of his/her patients have died from complications.

From what you state, you are in "good" shape.

But, I'd suggest this (which applies to me and others, too): Have your head in the "right" place before you give the okay. Invasive surgery isn't something you'd be here mentioning if it was life/death (spinal cord compression so bad, etc.); you'd already be in surgery or it would be behind you.

Anything done: You have to go in with your spirits high and with positive thoughts toward the outcome.

It sounds like you may need but a bit of time to digest and bolster yourself.

If your surgeon has not had a bunch of patients dying (exact same surgery), it is fear that is gripping you. I understand that. Sooo, give yourself some time - to understand with everything that's overwhelming.

If you aren't risking paralysis, give yourself time.

You'll be okay. But: Thoughts of dying going in are not good. Think of coming out better than you feel now.

I've not dealt with fusions: My spine plainly sucks from my C- to L- and S levels. For me, surgery would be piecemeal, or like someone doing some Leggo thing. ACDF is the scariest prospect, and what my neurosurgeon wants to do first. Like... yeah... I want... well... skip it: You're dealing with your own thougths and that's where the focus should remain.

If something feels if-y, and time is on your side, I say: Wait until thoughts of dying so young are not a the tip of your fingertips.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote