View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 09:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

ChrisW
First of all I am sorry for what has to of been a very difficult year of watching the cards fall in what can be like a domino effect while a child is healing after a concussion that has lead to PCS. Your daughter needs to know that she is only a victim of alot of symptoms and needs to be encouraged that she is doing the best she can. She needs to have her self esteem rescued and supported so she does not have too much anxiety. She needs to feel that the teachers and all other people in her life are there to help her get some success again. My son suffered from PCS after a wrestling injury last February and I am sure if he was required to perform in school and function in his life for the next few month after his injury he would of either failed or got D's or C's. Rest is so needed after this kind of brain assault. We saw a good neuropsychologist in Massachusetts who specialized in concussion problems and knowing when it is O.K. to get back to your life in full force. He has a website www.sportsconcussion.net. This was the most supportive and informative appointment we ever made because he explained everything to us and communicated to his teachers in a professional and understandable way. My son basically was exempt for months from stressful work. It took awhile to get insurance to approve but then they did with some pushing. At the time I did not even care, he was so helpful I would of paid for it anyway. He is focusing on sports injury concussion but it is all the same treatment, no matter how you got the injury. These kind of appointments with your child are helpful because they see and appreciate that people are caring about their troubles and that there is a plan to help them solve their issues. This helps alleviate the stress and anxiety that inhibits healing. We were very, very lucky to have this support. Perhaps you can at least call his office and get a referral, since he must be in a network of other professionals who are learning, sharing and researching this topic of PCS and it's challenges in school. Get very resourceful and become an advocate for your child, one step at a time. There is alot of hope for her recovery and I wish you luck. By the way my son 10 months later is doing great in school, studying long hours with no symptoms and doing sports!! There is hope and she is young.
Nancy
Nancy F is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote