Thread: On Empathy
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb yes,

Now that my computer is working a little this morning, I'll add to my other post and Kmeb's.

Real empathy, is not present in narcissists. Or sociopaths/psychopaths.
These character/personality disorders are becoming very common today.
Some Aspergers/autistic patients are also low in empathy.

A narcissist is only interested in others, when those others provide attention for them. They don't care about others basically. They think beautiful music and art are sappy, they think if you cry or are in pain you are weak, stupid. They steal your time/money and soul for themselves with no remorse or conscience.

Narcissistic traits are very high in small children. And I have read that by 6yrs of age this starts to wane if the children are not genetically programmed to be
narcissists forever. Responsive kids can be trained away from this self centered style with time.

So saying infants have empathy... is a little stretched for me. Infants are ego centric and want everything for themselves. I'll never forget when my son was about 3 or 4 I was sick with the flu and throwing up in the toilet...he walked in and calmly demanded lunch. Oblivious to my pain and temporary inablility to get lunch for him.

Here is a great website that goes into this subject in detail. If you have ever been trashed by a narcissist you will recognize the behaviors in this well written non technical discussion:
http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote