View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Even with the flu, a fever should not last over 3 days. If it is in your chest, you need to see the doc. No matter what chronic disease you have, flu and pneumonia pose serious risks.

I am still in shock your IVIG was stopped.

This is typical stupid medicine.

'They' want to save money and it will cost 'them' a lot more to get you well.

I think a chest x-ray is in order to make sure you do not have pneumonia, a frequent sequela to flu.....you need, at least, an extended visit to the doc...

And if you can not get transportation, I would assume it is getting to the point of being an emergency....you know where I stand on this, kmeb.....

Can your doc order a home health nurse to come see you??? Stat? He/She can assess your lungs and your condition and make sure you get the care you need.

This is just a general advisory....for those for whom a flu shot is recommended....go get it....same with a pneumovax....they did not make an issue over flu vax this year and I do not know why.

Also, carry around those alcohol gel bottles, keep one in the car, pockets etc...can u imagine what lurks on the handles of a shopping cart!

Smear your steering wheel and dash knobs and handles. If you are in a cold climate, you can keep those little gloves on as much as possible....

A really good HEPA filter, this is a good one, will capture viruses...they capture all bacteria, but they also capture airborne viruses. I run one in the winter and I have not been sick with infection since 2002. Good ones run roughly $100 for roughly 1200 sq. feet of coverage, and check the square footage they cover. This is not some fancy ion thing...this is just a HEPA air cleaner...they are fairly big, about 18" in diameter, and kinda loud. They come with a prefilter and a HEPA filter...the actual HEPA refill is pricey, but worth it. For those with dry eyes...keep it out of your bedroom or far from where you spend time, as it blows.

Keep hands away from mouth, nose and eyes.

When you wash your hands at public restrooms, use the paper towel to turn off the water and then to open the door to get out....if there is no waste basket near the door, find the nearest one and deposit the paper towel there...if they use hand blowers, tuck your hand in your jacket or shirt sleeve and handle the door that way. If you have the option of pushing a door, do it with your back or fore arm.

They are recommending folks buy head lettuce instead of leaf lettuce and head lettuce, you can rip off the outer leaves and inner leaves are less likely to have e-coli.

Small steps, but they help hugely.

BTW, I am not a clean freak...I live with 3 dogs and 2 cats, a snotty nosed, constantly coughing DD kid (that I love) and I am not a fastidious housekeeper. In the summer I dig in dirt ( a mud puppy)....I live where manure is travelling by in a honey wagon every 15 minutes, and it is airborne in the dirt that gets kicked up in the wind.

I just think folks can prevent catching some stuff....if you are immunocompromised wear a good mask....that is life if you are vulnerable. N-95 masks are the best...can be bought on line.

Oh, and the easiest place to catch something is the doctor's office, clinic, hospital, airport, airplane, or a school.

kmeb---I have a hunch some one brought this to you, as I don't think you have been out much....when you are in outside contact---wash hands and keep them away from your face.....you are so vulnerable right now!! Delivery people are all over the place, exposed to everything and they can carry everything. If your air system is shared with other apartment...yes, it comes thru the vents!! A HEPA in you apartment will help that.

Call that doc and tell them exactly how sick you are!!!!

The other issue is...is this infectious or is something else going on...call the doc and be loud and clear....ask to talk to the nurse...and see if homecare can be started, as you are homebound and in need of skilled care.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote