Thread: On Empathy
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default OHH My, Cycleops, Kmeb, Billye, Cathie and all

of you good people who have shown and shared to ME that true empathy and support...I do truly wish I could give you all, warm, soft HUGS! {not quite grandmotherly type tho? - not ready for that by a long shot!}
One aspect I find lacking in some quarters from some members has been an absence of anything relating to empathy in postings, but rather a postulation to a given or patricular philosophy. THAT particular shortcoming shows in many responses by some board members to many established and new members in need. Maybe it's the old 'been there, done that' response to hearing pleas from newcomers again and again... I do not know. I for one, try to be open to any and all viewpoints, provided they have a solid medical base. New people learn all we have learned from the ages [duh,years?] we have been on boards. BUT I find each new person, gives ME pause, to ask the basic questions again...I find I do not get stale in the process? Some appear to repeat by rote.
Maybe, and I truly hope that this is the case, is that the whys of why we all post here is that....WE came here afraid and scared...seeking help, hope or an outlet...ideally all? WE know what these newer folks are experiencing and that ANYTHING we can do to alleve those fears and help them learn to learn and get the right HELP is key to our existence? And our own ultimate relief.

Oh, Cycleops, yeah about the 'they just don't know what to say' thing? Well, my own brother who has a wife with MS couldn't relate at ALL until I'd done my homework and put out that it's DEMEYELINATION...not from the brain out, but from the out..IN! [backed up by NIH 'definitions' in print, in a holiday card..blunt? yep, necessary, betcha!] Only took two Plus years and they'd been active with MS causes for ages? Once that D word was out there, no more questions about physical 'issues'? DUH? Enuf? At times I really wanna swing my 4"x4" as best I can where I can, ya know? And HARD!

Hope there is no reason for those sirens to be going off! - Me? around here, I'm just waiting for the ice-stuff...sometime tomorrow? I plan to pretend I've a normal life[sort of] until it appears...Then I think I am going to have to HIBERNATE. Better excuse for sleeping not yet found? 's and Good hope to one and all. - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote