View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 12:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had problems for years that I didn't recognize as PD. At the beginning of this year, it had become clear that something was very wrong and my doctor had me stop working. I was off for months with no diagnosis other than something like "undetermined neurological problem."

My HRS department was adamant that I not talk with anyone about my condition, not even my direct supervisor. The HRS department took control over my time reports and pretty much told my boss that she didn't need to know anything about my condition. People I had worked with for more than a decade were left with no idea about why I wasn't at work anymore.

I had a problem with that. It didn't seem to make sense to me. I missed being able to talk with people I considered friends. On occasion I let it out to someone and every time HRS reminded me not to do it. I'm basically a person who is comfortable in sharing my feelings.

The reason HRS has a policy about not disclosing the nature of employee illnesses is to avoid prejudice. Unfortunately, they probably have good reason for this policy.

A few months ago, I applied for a manager position at another university about eight miles from the university where I work now. During my career I have gained a lot of experience in both management and computer programming. I'm finding the programming to be too demanding so I thought a strictly managerial position would be something I could handle better.

My references had all been called and each said the calls went well. Then I got a card from the other university that said I didn't meet qualifications. Well, one might wonder, why would they have called my references if I didn't meet qualifications? The job was in student affairs and I have fourteen years of experience as a manager in student affairs. I also have a Master's Degree in Business Administration. I can't prove this, but my opinion is that someone got the message to the other university that I had PD and they immediately cut me off.

Maybe it's for the best. As long as I stay with my current employer, I have the rights and privileges of a long-time employee and an HRS department that knows their job and does it well.
K.Ibsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote