View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaJane View Post
They measure how long it takes for a sensory impulse to make it up to the brain, and are generally not used to just make a diagnosis of pn, but to make a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, or something wrong in the cord. neuropathies of large fiber sensory nerves can make this test abnormal. I think most people with sensory neuropathy will have normal SEPs.

I had them done, and I think they were looking to see if the nerve tracks which give information for balance were impaired. They were not. They are in B12 deficiency states.

So, my guess is they are looking for MS. Which is what you are concerned about, right?

http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic344.htm
Well, I have the dx of MS from two neuros going back to 1996, but this is a new doc and I have noticed that neuros tend to want to start from scratch when you walk in the door, regardless of prior diagnoses. A friend was undiagnosed with MS last week, and then diagnosed with Devic's syndrome. Not an improvement, just a change, one that she is refusing to accept.

However, he's the first one to mention a spinal lesion, if indeed that's what it is.

At the appointment, he seemed most interested in sxs of Sjogren's and/or connective tissue disease. I have tested negative before, 4 years ago, on SSA/SSB, he's retesting.

Also, PT/PTT, ESR , ANA, Anti-DNA ABs, extractable nuclear antigens I and II, ANCA, RPR, RA -- I should do this on Halloween, I see many vials of blood in my future.

I've been supplementing for some years now with Jarrow's Methyl B12 after testing quite low in the range, and when I'm occasionally re-tested I generally exceed the range. Since he has B12 on the lab form, I'll need to remember to tell him that I'm supplementing, and perhaps find the initial labwork for comparison.

I need to pull out your Lizajane.org spreadsheets and update them.

Thanks for the link, that's going to take some reading.

Best, Dottye
LittleMischief is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote