View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 02:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I ended up telling my employer after going through about a year of hell. My former manager bluntly asked me if I was on drugs because my work performance dropped off drastically. I was taking every Monday off, and calling in sick a lot. When he bluntly asked me if I was on drugs, I was infuriated and hurt. I then told him I was going for tests because of odd neurological problems. He left me alone after I got a doctor's note from my PCP.

Now that he's gone, I work for the general manager who is a lot more understanding. He remarked to me the other day that the Sinemet is making a big difference in my mobility. He noticed this right off, and can tell when I'm not feeling right.

So tell or not to tell? It depends upon the people that you have to deal with. In most cases the company can't fire you because of the disability laws. In the US the companies have to make accomadations for the employees, and allow the employee to work as long as they can.

Flordagal, The question on your application about these particular conditions may have had something to do with your health insurance. Some insurance companies won't cover pre-existing conditions. So in this case, you're probably right in not saying anything right away. If anything, I'd wait as along as I could before saying something to make sure you're covered by the insurance.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote