View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

[BUT, here's the big but - if you wait, and do not get to a proper doctor and have this identified as a work-caused injury, you risk so much. Disability - permanent $ comepensation - as a lump sum or later pension type payments - cannot be had by Social Security or even state disability. Permanent disability amounts are paid to compensate you for the losses that your job movements caused (resulting in injury) which now forbid you from certain jobs or groups of jobs. That is a BIG part of work comp - besides the medical care, future medical care rights, and I have in-home care now, as my TOS progressed. But waiting and leaving the boxes blank may really not protect you from the risk of later being barred from work comp due to delay, or something happening (like a car accident now) that causes a judge or doctors to disbelieve your current injury or extent of injury, etc. I guess I'm basically saying that there are so many risks to the path that you're taking, that I can only urge you - URGE you - to please get at least one free consultation from a work comp attorney in your state and if appropriate be referred to a TOS DOC (take your list of docs) and even try to call some of the attorneys and ask if they've ever handled TOS or other repetitive upper extremity injuries. The states and even areas of a state handle these things differently. This could be the difference between getting temporary disability while you sort out the doctors, OR, having NO income and NO job! You can be fired for non-attendance - possibly.

I can't and am not trying to give you legal advice here.

Just as an internet post, PLEASE do not go forward with your health situation without finding out your rights AND YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES in regards to having whatever is going on.]

I'm glad you posted this Tam - it totally slipped my mind about the free consults!

I agree 100% - ask around/look in the yellow pages- many comp attys have websites and you can email a few questions,
If the office is nearby stop in and scope it out- see if they seem organized and professional at the front desk.
If they aren't busy maybe chat them up to get info on attys experience and cases.

The one i used had a nice new office but I should have noticed that they were very loose and unorganized/unprofessional.
Many are very hard to get in contact with after you sign on the dotted line- so ask about how they will guide you and how best to keep in contact. {only believe half of what they tell you}
Ok, I'm sure there is a few really good ones out there...

I found out at my hearing/settlement that my atty didn't even believe in TOS .

You have to have a Dr/Drs that will write it {TOS- if it is found to be that}and be willing to back up the dx and findings.
It helps to have a atty that has some idea about it too.