View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 11:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You know, just on the surface I'd have some concerns about what she wrote. And understanding that I am only goig by what you have said and what she has written and no more understanding of Vince or how things have unfolded.

1) If Vince was threatening to tell his mom so that she can 'take the teacher out', was crying, depressed and acting up etc why on earth did she not write to you, or better yet pick up the phone and talk to you rather than leave it to Vince to relay his version of events first? Lets assume for whatever reason Vince had not chosen to let you know what had transpired, and she had not informed you then you would be none the wise today and dont you rely on the other professional adults in his life to keep you up to date with what is going on for Vince each day (Hazel used to have a 'day' book were the teachers wrote a paragraph or two every afternoon so I knew what went on. I wrote a paragraph or two back for each morning. If you had something like this then she would know about your ill dog also)

2) "We are trying to teach Vince about boundaries and appropriateness so
that he will be continue to be an appropriate, respectful male."

This bugs me, why could she not say appropriate respectfull adult? The way it is phrased seems to imply and infer more than is being said. I dunno, maybe I am not being articulate enough. But it annoyed me

3) and last of all its the slightly patronising tone - "Caring is letting
a child know he/she is important to you and it is also helping a child
set boundaries. " - excuse me but I am an adult. I dont need a dictionary definintion of what caring is.

4) If lying on the floor with pillows is a time out thing, which in itself isnt a big issue for me, but why do you not already know this strategy? You shoudl have a list of options and techniques that the teacher uses. Particularly for when he is depressed, and acting up.

If it were me, I would feel very out of the loop. I would feel like what else dont I know? Am I waiting for Vince to tell me everything? Whats in his IEP?

This woman may be just fine, despite her patronising tone. You definately need to be involved in what she is doing though.

Sorry to hear about your dog btw
Peta
SuperMama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote